Search in Breaking from Mundane

Saturday, March 26

Obesity and You

                Lately it seems like everybody is on a health craze. The Biggest Loser is one of the most popular shows on television, workout equipment commercials are now on every channel, and Michelle Obama appears on the Disney Channel regularly to tell kids to “get active”. What's up with all the obsession?
                But that rambling out of the way, what really causes obesity? Why is everyone so dang fat?! Back in 2007, everyone went wild about the “fat gene”. Everybody wanted to be able to blame their genetics because they couldn’t fit into their high school jeans. But can this really even be true? What does an overweight person experience that another person doesn’t? I’ve been way up there on the scale before and once I control my eating, it easily comes off. I think it’s ridiculous that we try to associate our largeness with something out of our control, so it makes us feel better. Now I don’t claim to be a Geneticist, but I do know a thing or two. And I do know that with the limited studies these people have conducted, you can’t even tell what’s a cause and what’s an effect. I will admit, there are some cases of obesity associated with genes, such as Prader-Willi syndrome, which causes the person to eat nearly non-stop. But I know I wasn’t large because I was always hungry, but because I made bad choices. What do you think? Genes or not?
                If it isn’t genetics, then it has to be something else. I know, clearly it’s the fault of the fast-food corporations. McDonalds has been at the blunt end of hundreds, if not thousands of lawsuits. Ranging from franchise managers who were “forced to sample the fatty array of foods on a daily basis”, to parents suing because the happy meal toys are too appealing. Companies like McDonalds are easy targets for people upset about their services because, in general, people know just how bad their food is for them. For that same reason, it’s not the company’s fault if you get fat! …Or if you spill coffee on your lap. I mean seriously, Liebeck v. McDonald’s Restaurants awarded a woman $2.86 million because her coffee was “defective” and “too hot.”
                In 2003, a lawsuit was thrown out that said McDonalds was responsible for obesity. The only reason I bring it up is because the following clearly illustrates the idiocracy some people have about the foods they eat:
“The plaintiffs argued that McDonald's should therefore be held accountable for the girls' obesity, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and elevated cholesterol.
“The girls are Jazlyn Bradley and Ashley Pelman. Bradley, 19, is 5 feet, 6 inches tall, and weighs 270 pounds. Pelman, 14, is 4-foot-10 and 170 pounds.
“Bradley said that a McMuffin for breakfast and a Big Mac meal for dinner was her regular diet. Pelman preferred the Happy Meals and used to eat at McDonald's three or four times a week.
“Bradley's father, Israel, said he never saw anything in the Bronx restaurants that informed him of the food's ingredients. "I always believed McDonald's was healthy for my children," he said in an affidavit.”
I’m glad that one was thrown out. If it had been allowed to go to court, I would have to ask a few questions. Such as, “If you stick a baby in the microwave and it dies, is it the manufacturer’s fault for not having a warning label?”
I know that this was more or less a rant, but I do want to know what you think. Who’s fault is it that America (And many many other countries for that matter) is so fat? I think it’s just the fault of the individuals. Yes, the increasing lack of organic foods certainly doesn’t help, but if you are eating McDonalds once or more a week then you are causing it to yourself.

***Some Images Were Removed From This Page To Avoid Potential Lawsuits and/or Shutdowns. My apologies***




No comments:

Post a Comment